There's a growing need for physical therapy aides. In fact, PT aide jobs will grow over 25% by 2030. This online course will help you master the skills you need to work as a physical therapy aide.
Not only will you be prepared for the AMCA's Physical Therapy Technician/Aide certification exam, but an externship starter kit will also walk you through everything you need to know to land a PT aide externship.
Disclaimer: To qualify for the externship applications process, students must successfully complete the online course content and have account balances up to date (at a minimum). Going through the externship application process does not guarantee an externship. COVID may be affecting the externship process or site availability in your area. Students can begin researching the steps of the application process 2 weeks prior to completing courses.Instructor(s):
Holly Trimble earned a bachelor's degree in Physical Therapy from the University of Colorado, a master's degree in Pediatric Physical Therapy from Boston University, a master's degree in Biology from the University of Nebraska at Kearney, and a doctoral degree in Physical Therapy from Arcadia University. After working as a physical therapist for many years, Dr. Trimble transitioned into teaching. She has lectured on health-related topics to all age groups and has taught middle and high school science courses in both private and public school settings. She currently teaches Anatomy and Physiology for a local community college system, where she has taught for the past 15 years. Holly received the Adjunct Faculty Excellence Award both of the years she was nominated and is the author of the eBook, "College Success Now!"
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- A webcam.
- A microphone.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- Principles and Techniques of Patient Care
- Medical Terminology for Health Professions
Please note: You will receive a digital book if the physical book is on backorder.
- The Physical Therapy Profession
- Medical Terminology
- Organization of the Human Body
- Principles of Pathology and Its Treatment
- Infection Control
- Body Mechanics
- Positioning and Draping Patients
- Transferring Patients Safely
- Wheelchair Basics
- Pressure Ulcers
- Normal and Abnormal Gait
- Ambulation Aids
- Ambulation Related Activities
- The Skeletal System
- The Muscular System
- Treatment of the Skeletal and Muscular Systems: Exercise
- Treatment of the Skeletal and Muscular Systems: Physical Agents
- The Cardiovascular and Respiratory Systems
- The Nervous System
- Treatment of the Cardiovascular, Respiratory, and Nervous Systems
- The Rest of the Organ Systems
- Communication in the PT Facility
- Records and Charting
- Legal and Ethical Issues
- Your Career Journey (Optional Lesson)