Schools need paraprofessionals! This course will prepare you for the ETS ParaPro Assessment exam, so you can work as a teacher's aide. You'll learn how these paraprofessional educators assist with classroom instruction and build a foundation in educational principles like classroom management. Most importantly, you'll develop strategies to support students of different learning abilities in reading, writing, and math.Instructor(s):
Kt (Katie) Paxton
Kt (Katie) Paxton is a certified teacher with a Master's Degree in Education focusing on Learning and Technology. She has more than 20 years of classroom experience and has been an online instructor since 2003. She also owned and managed a home daycare for five years and is the author of More Adventures With Kids in San Diego. Furthermore, Kt has trained and placed tutors with at-risk students in over 100 schools in addition to working with the students herself.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this program are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- Teaching in Today''s Inclusive Classrooms: A Universal Design for Learning Approach, Third Edition, by Richard M. Gargiulo and Debbie Metcalf
- Methods and Strategies for Teaching Students with High Incidence Disabilities: A Case-Based Approach, Second edition, by Joseph Boyle and David Scanlon
- Praxis ParaProfessional Study Guide
Please Note: You will receive a digital book if the physical book is on backorder.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive the ParaPro Interactive Practice Test to help prepare for the exam.
- Teacher's Aide Foundations
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Communication and Classroom Management
- Supporting Students in the General Education Setting
- Students with Exceptionalities
- Midterm Exam
- Supporting the Reading Process
- Supporting the Writing Process
- Supporting Mathematics
- Preparing for the ETS ParaPro Assessment
- Career Roadmap: The Job Search and Future Opportunities (Optional Lesson)
- Portfolio Final Project: Instructions and Submission
- Final Exam