CSU Youth Dance Conservatory - Parent Information
Our mission is to train outstanding classical dancers.
- The CSU Youth Dance Conservatory is our region’s foremost center of classical ballet training. The Conservatory offers a carefully structured dance curriculum offering students the best possible education to equip them for a career in the world of dance.
- Formal ballet training is introduced around the age of 7 or 8. Pre-ballet classes are often offered to dancers between the ages of 3 and 6. The classes, though very carefully planned, are loosely organized and simple. Children explore movement which is the key to learning. Our program emphasizes the eight elements of movements: Centering, Gravity, Balance, Posture, Gesture, Rhythm, Breathing and Moving in Space. These elements are proven to be the foundation not only in dance but in the development in children physically and emotionally as they grow and are ready for formal and more structured instruction. For girls who desire to pursue a career in classical dance, a rigorous training with a minimum of 7.5 hours per week is absolutely necessary.
- Don’t let the slow graceful movement of ballet fool you. Ballet requires physical training and strength to make those moves seem effortless. Ballet is a full body workout. As with many other exercise programs, choosing ballet as your form of consistent exercise can help prevent or lessen the risk for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, heart disease, and degenerative bone loss. Other benefits of a good ballet training program are more flexibility, muscular strength, better posture, balance, and great body awareness.
- Summer classes are an excellent and highly recommended idea for young dancers to continue their training. This way they will not lose the skills they have gained during the year, but will continue to gain in strength, flexibility, coordination, alignment, balance, and confidence.
- The Conservatory offers a two week summer intensive on ballet technique, pointe, variations, conditioning, jazz, modern and lyrical. Master Teachers are invited to share their artistry and knowledge with our dancers. This is a perfect time to enhance your skills!
WHERE TO PURCHASE DANCEWEAR LOCALLY:
Dance Store Grit and Grace – (678) 552-9798
7 Greenville Street
Newnan, GA 30263
Centre Stage in Fayetteville – (770) 460-9815
347 Glynn St N
Fayetteville, Georgia 30214
Target and Walmart both sell black leotards and pink tights.